Sunday, October 21, 2007

Zoo Time and Pre-Birthday Fun

Since we did not have a Pic O' the Week-O on Friday as we were busy having fun, I thought I'd post some pictures from our day at the zoo.















I don't know if you can see the little guy or not, but there's a baby burrowing underneath his mommy. The mommy could even carry the baby around with him hanging onto her belly.
















The meerkats were very entertaining. I've never seen Meerkat Manor, but I'm tempted to check it out now.

















Aww, so cute. I'm not sure which panda this is (there are 2 at the zoo).


















We got to see the sea lion show, and it was so much fun! The male, Malibu, is in the foreground, and Chloe and Callie are in the back. Malibu definitely had the shortest attention span, as he often just jumped off the rock and went for a swim while the girls stood alert.

All in all, it was a very nice visit, despite there being about 3 million small children there on field trips. The weather couldn't have been more perfect, and the zoo has been improved so much since I was little. It used to be quite horrific, but whoever manages the zoo has really taken strides to provide a quality zoo experience.

After our trip to the zoo on Friday, Stephen and I made our way to Borders in the East Memphis/Germantown area. This may not sound like anything special, but ever since I moved back to Jackson, I've been depressed about the lack of quality bookstores here. All we have is Books A Million, and I can't even adequately express my dislike of that cement warehouse. I was spoiled in Knoxville by having a Borders, a Barnes and Noble, and TWO fabulous used bookstores, so living in Jackson is living in book poverty. The Borders in Memphis is really lovely, and I aquired two new books, Ann Patchett's Run, her newest novel, and George MacDonald's Phantastes, which I've been wanting to read ever since I read The Light Princess in children's lit. last semester. I've started reading Run, and it's fantastic so far.

On Saturday my mom and I went shopping for my birthday, and I found some really great clothes and had a good time just being with my mom. The great thing about my birthday is that there are always all kinds of fall sales going on, so everything I got, with the exception of one shirt, was at least 40% off. I love a good bargain. That night my grandparents, my brother and sister-in-law all came to my parent's house for dinner, and my mom made carrot cake from scratch, my absolute favorite.

Today Stephen surprised me with part 1 of my birthday present, beautiful red roses:



I can't wait until tomorrow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what wonderful pictures