Monday, October 1, 2007

Pinch Blogger

Erin is allowing me to post a sports blog today in lieu of her poem blog. So here's a little something to tide you over until next week, a poem from the book Moxie Day and Family by Robert Pottle.

Grammar Lesson

Oh teacher, I fear that I misunderstood
whether I should use well, or if I should use good.
If roses had noses then how would they smell?
Would they smell good or would they smell well?

An Autumnal Fall
In a collapse of epic proportions, the New York Mets gave the NL East to the Phillies. Early Christmas gift, maybe. The Mets gave up a 7 game lead in 17 games, a span of games in which they went 5-12. Early prediction, Tony La Russa... next coach of the New York Mets. The playoff matchups: Yankees/Indians, Red Sox/Angels, Cubs/Diamondbacks, Phillies/Rockies or Padres. The Rockies deserve a lot of praise for going 13-1 in their final 14 games to give themselves a chance. A team that hot could potentially run right through the playoffs.

Now, don't confuse the following statement for bragging, but take a look at the prediction I made March 28th, Indians over Phillies in the World Series. Granted, I only picked about 2 teams per league correctly, but I'm sticking with my preseason picks. The round by round picks sure to be wrong... Indians over Yanks, Sox over Angels, Indians over Sox in the AL; D-Backs over Cubs, Phillies over the Pockies/Radres, Phillies over D-Backs in the NL, and Indians over Phillies in the Series.

NFL = Nobody (can) Figure (it out) League
And when I say nobody, I'm talking about myself. My Super Bowl teams (San Diego and New Orleans) have a combined record of 1-6, and my surprise team of the year (the St. Louis Rams) are well on their way to the top pick in the draft (Glenn Dorsey?). At least in the NFL, it's better to be horrible than mediocre (because of the draft), so here's to hoping for a 2-14 year from the Rams. Here's my first quarter of the season Super Bowl re-pick: Patriots and Cowboys. I'm nothing if not a bandwagon jumper. I love what the Packers and Lions are doing in the NFC, but Dallas is the best all around team in that conference. The Patriots just look completely dominant and consistent, scoring 38 points in each of their first 3 games.

Tigers and Bears, Oh my!
It was a week chock full of upsets. #3 Oklahoma, #4 Florida, #5 West Virginia, #7 Texas, #10 Rutgers, #11 Oregon, and #13 Clemson all fell from the ranks of the unbeaten. I didn't expect Florida to be as good as they were, so I'm not all that upset about them losing (watch out next year). I was disappointed by West Virginia's loss since I had them in the championship game with LSU. I have no idea who to put in their spot. It might very well be the team with the best record in the state of Florida. Not Miami, UF, or FSU, but the Bulls of South Florida. If they can go undefeated the rest of the way (big if), and the rest of the top 10 teams have at least 1 loss, which is probable, they make a strong case. Tough games among the top 10:

1. LSU: Florida, Kentucky
2. USC: Arizona, Oregon, Cal, Arizona St., UCLA
3. Cal: UCLA, Arizona St., USC, Washington
4. Ohio St.: Michigan St.,
Penn St., Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan
5. Wisconsin: Illinois, Penn St., Ohio St., Michigan
6. South Florida: Rutgers, Cincinnati
7. BC: Virginia Tech, FSU, Clemson
8. Kentucky: South Carolina, LSU, Florida, Georgia
9. Florida: LSU, Kentucky, Georgia, South Carolina
10. Oklahoma: Texas, Missouri

Ok, let's play it out. LSU wins both of their tough games giving Florida 2 losses, and knocking them out of contention. Kentucky receives their first loss, but will lose to LSU again in the SEC championship game. Two losses and goodbye to KY. I'll say USC loses to Cal and UCLA thus knocking them out. Ohio St. loses to Wisconsin and Wisconsin loses to Illinois this weekend, S. Florida will win out, BC loses one to FSU, and Oklahoma should win out. That leaves the current top 10 undefeateds at LSU, Cal, and S. Florida. Give Cal the edge to go against LSU in the BCS Title game. How confident do I feel with that pick? About a 2 on a 1-10 scale.
What's your pick?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't overlook the Seahawks in the NFC. If not for the goofy fumble, they'd be 4-0 right now.

As far as Cal goes, they still have to play aside from USC, they've got Arizona St (who's undefeated right now), Washington (who could have beat USC if not for the fumble on the punt return) and Oregon State (always a tough team). It will be tough this year for a team to go undefeated in the Pac-10 I think. I would say they're probably the second toughest conference behind the SEC.

stephen said...

The Pac-10 is indeed a very tough conference. Even though they're not as good as in years past, the Big 10 is very competitive this year. There may not be an undefeated other than LSU, in which case, flip a coin to see who they play.

erin said...

I think one of my students could have written that poem.

Are there usually that many upsets in one weekend of college football?

stephen said...

It is highly unusual, Erin. The best teams in football generally go through the year with 0-1 loss. For that many top 10 teams to lose on the same weekend was very rare.

Jesse said...

Number one thing I miss about America--FOOD. Number two thing I miss--Football!
Thanks...this helps me keep track of what's going.

Anonymous said...

McLaren did get reupped by the M's, it happened the day after then end of the season, both him and the GM as well.

Yea I read a report that LaRussa might come to Seattle but that was before the season ended.