Wednesday, November 28, 2007

SPLOG Wednesday

First of all, have you noticed the handy little scoreboard over there on the left sidebar? You can choose which sport to view and all kinds of cool stuff.

It's sad to hear about Sean Taylor's senseless murder. I just hope he turned his life around from previous indiscretions and knew the Lord prior to his passing.

About a NCAA football playoff, I used to be for trying to figure out how one could work. Maybe it's because of the craziness of this regular season, and the fact that I know someone will always be unhappy (e.g. if a non-conference winner gets in over a conference winner, the #9 team will be upset if it's an 8 team playoff, same with #17 if it's a 16 team playoff, some bowls will get shafted, etc). It seems like the best team generally wins or at least has the opportunity to play for the title. I don't see it as a broken system. A playoff wouldn't be a perfect solution, so I'm for leaving it as is at least for the time being.

BCS Standings

1. Missouri
2. West Virginia
3. Ohio State
4. Georgia
5. Kansas
6. Virginia Tech

Well this is no longer possible. However, I would be very pleased to have picked one of the two teams to play for the title after this crazy year. Personally, I'd love to see it end as it is now, with a Mizzou vs. WVU finale. I've really grown fond of Mizzou. However, with the way this season's gone, I wouldn't be surprised if both teams lose next week and idle Ohio State plays LSU (who'll jump over Georgia and Va Tech if the the Tigers beat Tennessee).

High on:
Chase Daniel - Will be a great pro QB.
Darren McFadden - Will be a great pro RB.
Colt Brennan & receiving corp - I'm finally on the rainbow colored bandwagon. Better late than never. Colt is a solid player and the receiving corp is quite possibly the best in the nation.

Down on:
Andre' Woodson - Kept KY in it versus TN, but also lost it for them. He doesn't seem to have the "it" factor, the internal clock that Daniel has.
LSU - I knew they'd lose at some point. They were possible the most overrated team in the 2nd half of the season.
Hawaii - They are better than I thought, HOWEVER, I am not on the bandwagon that if they go undefeated and win their bowl game, they should be the nat'l champs, as I've heard some say.

Predictions (7-3 last week, 35-25 overall)
Since it is the last week of college football before the bowl games, I'll pick every college game this week, as well as 2 pro games to make it an even 20 picks. Since it's twice as many games, I'll leave out the commentary.

NCAAF
(1) Louisville over Rutgers (2-0)
(2) Fresno St. over New Mexico St. (3-0)
(3) Central Michigan over Miami (OH) (4-0)
(4) Navy over Army (5-0)
(5) UCF over Tulsa (6-0)
(6) Virginia Tech over Boston College (7-0)
(7) Troy over Florida Atlantic (7-1)
(8) LSU over Tennessee (8-1)
(9) Nevada over Louisiana Tech (9-1)
(10) USC over UCLA (10-1)
(11) Oregon St. over Oregon (11-1)
(12) BYU over San Diego St. (12-1)
(13) North Texas over Florida International (12-2)
(14) California over Stanford (12-3)
(15) West Virginia over Pittsburgh (12-4)
(16) Missouri over Oklahoma (12-5)
(17) Arizona St. over Arizona (13-5)
(18) Hawaii over Washington (14-5)
NFL
(19) Dallas over Green Bay (1-0)
(20) Miami over NY Jets (14-6)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the NCAA should just do the playoffs like they do with every other division (I-AA, II, III) and then other teams that qualify for bowls can have that. Yea there will be some teams left out but it's better to argue about who should be in the tournament rather than who should play in the national championship game.

I'm torn about Hawaii. I love the mid-major teams getting a shot at the BCS. But to go undefeated, they have to face U-Dub. I don't know how that game is going to turn out but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a close one.

How about your Orlando Magic? They have really come out the gate quick. It'll be interesting to see how things go as the season continues.

And I'm not writing you off this week for fantasy football. Given that my team has lost 2 of it's last 3, it ought to be a tough matchup

Anonymous said...

I leave for KC in January. It'll be hard moving from Seattle, it has been my home for 3 years but the timing is right and God's got a reason for taking me there.

I did promise my boss here in Seattle (who's a Chargers fan) that I wouldn't become a Chiefs fan. I've gotten to the point where I'm set as far as my sports allegiences go, the only ones I'll probably adopt will be KU sports (football, basketball) and KC's MLS team.

Cyndi said...

I think what happened to Sean is so sad. I know how hard it is to raise a child on your own after losing the person you planned to spend your life with and so i'm praying for his fiancee and unborn child.
Thanks Erin for your sweet comment about Nathan.It is healing but it was such a big scratch it's just healing slowly.