Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sports Stuff

It's been a little while since I've tossed up a sports blog, so I thought I'd take my chance to do that now.

NFL
Notes:
*The Browns scored 51 points in 1 game. Unbelievable. I would have guessed that they score that much in about 8 games.
*One of my Super Bowl picks, the Chargers, are 1-1, which isn't all that shocking in and of itself, but I am very surprised that they got creamed by the Patriots.
*My other playoff team, the Saints, are 0-2 and look awful. Ugh, bad year for my preseason predictions so far.
*The Lions and the Packers are ahead of the Bears in the NFC North.

3 Teams Better Than I Thought:
1. Washington Redskins - Defense looks solid. Could be a Wild Card team in the NFC.
2. Pittsburgh Steelers - Should win the AFC North.
3. Carolina Panthers - Carolina was a team that I picked to win the NFC for several years running. When they made the Super Bowl, I became attached to them. After some frustrating years and injuries, it looks like they're back among the NFC contenders.

3 Teams Worse Than I Thought:
1. Philadelphia Eagles - McNabb isn't good, they have a mediocre receiving corp, and their defense is aging.
2. New Orleans Saints - Defense has been bad. So has the offense.
3. St. Louis Rams - Injuries and suspensions and 0 interceptions.

Power Rankings
My Top 10
1. New England Patriots
2. Indianapolis Colts
3. Pittsburgh Steelers
4. Denver Broncos
5. Dallas Cowboys
6. San Diego Chargers
7. Houston Texans
8. Green Bay Packers
9. Chicago Bears
10. Baltimore Ravens

MLB
Cards are toast. RIP 2007 Redbirds. Get a new manager.

College Football
Consensus top 5:
1. USC
2. LSU
3. Florida
4. Oklahoma
5. West Virginia

I'm a little worried about my WVU pick. They've looked suspect this year, but have managed to get out of those games unscathed. LSU looks dominant. Even if I could change, I'd stick with that pick. I'm very happy to see my Gators in the top 3 after their dominating performance against Tennessee. My co-worker Paul has made a t-shirt in recognition of the Vols' struggles. If you're a Vol hater or just a frustrated fan, I'd definitely consider getting one of these clever tees.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mentioned Florida. Which Florida? Univeristy of Florida, right? Right? *glares*

Just FYI - I have Gator bumper stickers, Gator hoodies, Gator t-shirts.....

stephen said...

Absolutely the Gators. Who else but the National Chomps...err... Champs.

erin said...

That shirt is brilliant.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the Redskins, they've beaten a Miami team that isn't very good and an Eagles team that has coughed up 2 games now. But definitely a surprise team for me would be Minnesota, their defense is good and they got Peterson who can run and catch out of the backfield.

I'm not even going to say anything about Florida or UT. I will say even though they lost last week, keep a watch out for the Washington Huskies. They have a great up and coming team and Ty Willingham is a great coach. Look at how U-Dub is doing compared to Notre Dame.