Wednesday, December 5, 2007

SPLOG Wednesday

The Orlando Magic continue to roll. They're now 16-4, 11-2 on the road. Dwight Howard is an MVP candidate. His per game line, 23.2 points, 15.1 boards, 3 blocks, while shooting 61.1% from the field. They definitely made the right choice in picking Howard over Okafor in the draft a few years back.

Tough time to be a Miami sports fan:
Dolphins 0-13 (last in the AFC East)
Heat 4-13 (last in the Southeast Division, Eastern Conference)
Hurricane football 5-7 (11th out of 12 in the ACC), no bowl game
Marlins 71-91 (last in the NL East), and just dealt the 2 faces of the franchise, Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis

There are six bowl games that I'm excited about this year, and the rest I don't really care about. Here are the six that intrigue me (all times Central):

AT&T Cotton Bowl @ Dallas, TX -- Missouri vs. Arkansas (1-Jan, 10:30am, FOX)
As I've said before, I'm a big fan of Chase Daniel and Darren McFadden, who will face each other in this game in possibly their last games as college athletes. The matchup should be a solid one. Mizzou really got shafted by not getting a BCS bowl, and the Razerbacks can be very tough on any given day.

Capital One Bowl @ Orlando, FL -- Florida vs. Michigan (1-Jan, 12:00pm, ABC)
Again, should be a great matchup. Florida's my team, so the reasons are obvious that I'd have interest in this one. It'll be fun to watch Tebow one last time before his Junior year. I've a feeling they're going to give the Heisman to McFadden this year. Next year, there will be no reason not to give it to Tebow.

Rose Bowl presented by Citi @ Pasadena, CA -- USC vs. Illinois (1-Jan, 3:30pm, ABC)
I'm thrilled with the season that Illinois has had... they're the only team to defeat the #1 team in the country (Ohio St.), so far. This will be a very tough test for them. The Trojans are fully healthy and are playing well. I imagine the Trojans will win, since it's basically a home game for them, but I'm looking forward to watching the Illini one last time.

Allstate Sugar Bowl @ New Orleans, LA -- Georgia vs. Hawaii (1-Jan, 7:30pm, FOX)
In a normal system, this could be the national championship game. The #4 team in the land (prior to #1 and #2 losing) and the undefeated team. I think it will be a better game than the real title game. Georgia should have been there even if they didn't win the SEC. Knowshon Moreno will win a Heisman in his junior year. He's an absolute beast. Hawaii will try to continue their perfect season. Should be a fun game.

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl @ Glendale, AZ -- Oklahoma vs. West Virginia (2-Jan, 7:00pm, FOX)
By my eyes, Oklahoma is the best team in the country and should have been facing Georgia in the title game. They dominated a very, very good Mizzou team. West Virginia really layed an egg against Pitt. Assuming full heath for both teams, this should be another game that's better than the title game.

Allstate BCS Championship Game @ New Orleans, LA -- Ohio State vs. LSU (7-Jan, 7:00pm, FOX)
I find this to be the least interesting of the games I have any interest in. I only have interest in it because it will determine the champ. I saw LSU play several times toward the end of the year, and I just don't think they are all that great. I'm not sure what Ohio State's strength of schedule was, but it was not very good (the very reason Hawaii is not being considered). I hope LSU wins, but I think there'll be 5 better games than this.

Prediction record: 14-6 last week, 49-31 overall
No predictions this week. It's more fun to pick college games than anything else, so I'll put a haitus on the predictions.

Also, depending on the influx of sports news, I may put the SPLOG on hiatus. College football took up a large portion of the SPLOG, and now that it's nearly over, I won't have as much to write about. Maybe an entry here and there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you think about that Memphis/USC game? I think games like that will have an impact come March and the Tournament

Congrats on winning in fantasy football last week. Now you're going to have to win this week so I can get back into first place again.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Yay Florida! - the Gator Game is the only one I care about and/or will be watching. Assuming they show it up here, which they rarely do. the bums! ~ L

Anonymous said...

That Michigan/Florida game will be one that has absolutely no appeal to me (mainly cause I don't like either team). The Orange Bowl game (Virginia Tech/Kansas) will be an interesting matchup. You got a team with a great special teams and dual QBs (VT) and then one of the surprising teams of the season with only one loss (Kansas).

Great pickup with Sage Rosenfels. I was thinking of picking him up as a backup.

As far as Christmas favorites, I love animated ones (Charlie Brown Christmas, A Christmas Carol with Mickey Mouse). Those are always fun